Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Happy Sweet and Sour Sauce

Everybody loves this recipe! I have yet to meet anyone who didn't like it. Making this recipe (or maybe I should say eating the results) always makes me happy. It's a recipe that's been handed down from family and friends for many years.

I love serving it with chicken, on rice, or with meatballs. It's so much better than that fake pink stuff you get from Chinese places. I think it tastes like the authentic kind you can get at Thai restaurants. I have so many happy memories associated with this recipe and I hope you enjoy it too.




Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger (or more if you like)
  • 2 Tbs. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbs. pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple later)
  • 3 Tbs. vinegar (I've used white, apple cider, and rice vinegar, it doesn't matter what kind you use)
  • 3 Tbs. ketchup
  • 1 can crushed or tidbits pineapple (20 oz. or however much you'd like to add)
  • 2 Tbs. cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water or pineapple juice
Directions:
Combine the sugar and ground ginger in a sauce pan. Add the soy sauce, 1 Tbs. of pineapple juice, vinegar, and ketchup. Combine and bring to a boil while mixing regularly. While the sauce is heating up combine the 1/2 cup water or juice with the cornstarch in separate container. Once the sauce is boiling add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce pan. Stir while again bringing to a boil. Allow it to boil for another minute or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add the pineapple before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment