Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

The Happiness Project: January Goals

I mentioned in my last post that I am starting a happiness project this year based off of Gretchen Rubin's book. Each month I'll focus on a different goal (with sub-goals to get me there) towards making my life happier. Similarly to Rubin's motivation, I'm not undertaking this project because I'm actually unhappy - it's just that I don't think I'm happy enough. I've been enormously blessed (a wonderful husband, financially stable, a safe place to live, and the necessities and luxuries of life) and I feel that I should show it. I feel that all too often I don't seem happy enough and thus - hello happiness project!




January's overarching goal is memories. I want to remember all the little (and big!) things, be able to share them in the future, and cherish them forever. I believe that memories mean so much to us. Creating and treasuring them brings me a lot of happiness, but I usually don't do a very good job of doing this! I have several specific ideas to help with this goal:


  • Monthly Family Photo - I'm not talking studio or professional shots. I'd like to have a record of us throughout the year. I don't think we record how we change through the year and there are so many changes! Just getting a quick photo once a month will help record these.
  • SMASH Books - Those monthly photos are going to be added to my first ever SMASH book! SMASH books are like scrap books, but better in my opinion. They seem to be less time and effort intensive. They have cool backgrounds and prompts, come with a pen/glue stick, and in many different themes! They basically take a lot of the work out of scrap-booking. Perfect!
  • Birthday Presents - My typical birthday present to my family is a phone call. Not too special right? I realize it's better than nothing, but I'm hoping to do a little better this year. The plan is to send each of mine and my husband's parents and siblings actual gifts (even if just a card with a written note) in time for their birthdays - the first is next week so I better get cracking! 
  • Display Photos - I have plenty of digital and even printed photos as well as empty picture frames, however none of these are actually hanging from my walls. I'm hoping to get at least a couple up on display this month. I love looking at pictures of my family (especially couple shots of me and the hubs). Looking at those smiling faces just fills my heart with love and puts a smile on my face. Obviously and effective happiness strategy! 
How do you record your family's memories? Any tips or ideas for me? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment